Understanding the Business Environment, 3rd edition
By Claire Capon
Distributed by Trans-Atlantic Publications Inc.
440 Pages, Illustrated
$99.50 Paper Original
Understanding the Business Environment introduces the nature and environment of organisations to the first-time student of business. Clearly and accessibly, the book examines the external and competitive environment of business, as well as the structure, culture, resources and functions inside organisations.
This combination of both the internal and external environment of organisations is unusual, and marks this book out as particularly valuable for courses aiming to give students a rounded introduction to business.
It is written for students on undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in business, or business-related disciplines.
The following online resources support the text:
- For Students: self-assessment questions, glossary, revision “flashcards”
- For Instructors: teaching manual, powerpoint slides
List of case studies
Teaching with this book
Guided tour of the book
1 The external environment
2 The composition of the external environment
3 The competitive environment
4 Inside organisations
5 Culture and organisations
6 Organisational behaviour
7 Human resource management
9 Operations management
11 Managing knowledge and innovation
12 Stakeholders, governance and ethics
- Entry and Exit Case Studies in each chapter illustrate concepts in action
- Check your Understanding features in each chapter enable students to revisit learning objectives
- Weblinks and Further Reading provide a ready source of references from which to begin and extend research projects and other assignments
Claire Capon is Senior Lecturer at Staffordshire University Business School. She is also author of another Pearson textbook: Understanding Strategic Management (2008).
Return to the Businesss Titles Home Page